IMPORTANT: www.diabetic-diet-recipes.net is not qualified in nutrition or medicine. Diabetes is a serious disease that requires medical attention by a professional.
The recipes on this site should not be taken as medical advice. Always use caution when reading a recipe, and always pay attention to exchange sizes. Blood
glucose levels can be affected by not following individual dietary guidelines that are set in place by a medical physician. Some of the recipes do use small amounts
of sugar. Please check with your physician first. Recipes with sugar are not suitable for all diabetics.
Cherry Almond Bars
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 2/3 cup reduced-fat margarine
* 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
* 2/3 cup ground almonds
* 1/3 cup, plus 2 tablespoons candied cherries, finely chopped
* 1 large egg, beaten
* 3/4 cup skim milk
* 1 teaspoon almond extract
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease and line a jelly-roll pan
with parchment paper.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder. In a large bowl, cream the margarine
and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the ground almonds and cherries.
3. Mix the beaten egg with the milk and almond extract, and gradually beat
into the creamed margarine and sugar, adding a little of the flour mixture if
there is any sign of curdling.
4. Beat in the rest of the flour mixture, turn into the prepared pan and bake
for about 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out
5. Remove the lining paper, allow to cool on a wire rack and when
completely cool, cut into bars or squares before serving.
Makes 16 Bars (1 Bar Serving)
Nutritional Info Per Serving:
Protein: 3 g
Sodium: 106 mg
Cholesterol: 14 mg
Fat: 5 g
Dietary Fiber: 1 g
Carbohydrates: 18 g
Exchanges: 1 Starch, 1 Fat