Chicken Pot Pie
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare Oil Pastry; form dough into a ball. On a lightly
floured surface, flatten dough with hands. Roll pastry to 1/8-inch thickness. Using 1 to 1
1/2-inch cookie or hors d'oeuvre cutters, make desired-shaped pastry cutouts (do not reroll
scraps). Cover pastry; set aside.
2. Lightly coat an unheated medium saucepan with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat over
medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion to hot pan; cook and stir about 4 minutes or until
the onion is tender.
3. Meanwhile, set aside 1 tablespoon of the evaporated milk. In a small bowl, gradually
whisk the remaining evaporated milk into the flour until smooth. Stir milk mixture into
mushroom mixture in saucepan. Stir in the water, bouillon granules, sage, and pepper.
Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
4. Stir in chicken and frozen vegetables. Transfer mixture to a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate.
Arrange pastry cutouts on top of hot chicken mixture. Brush pastry cutouts with the
reserved 1 tablespoon evaporated milk.
5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the pastry is golden. Let stand for 10 minutes before
serving. Makes 4 (3/4-cup) servings.
Oil Pastry: In a medium bowl, stir together 2/3 cup all-purpose flour and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
Add 3 tablespoons cooking oil and 2 tablespoons fat-free milk. Stir lightly with a fork to
Nutritional Info per serving: Calories 386; Total Fat (g) 13; Cholesterol (mg) 48;
Sodium (mg) 450; Carbs (g) 38;
1 recipe for Oil Pastry (below)
Nonstick cooking spray
1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 12-ounce can evaporated fat-free milk
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
1/2 teaspoon dried sage, marjoram, or thyme,
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
1 cup loose-pack frozen vegetables