Chocolate-Vanilla Swirl Cookies
1/2 cup margarine, softened
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 tablespoons liquid egg substitute
1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup skim milk, warmed to room temperature
1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
IMPORTANT: www.diabetic-diet-recipes.net is not qualified in nutrition or medicine. Diabetes is a serious disease that requires medical attention by a professional.
The recipes on this site should not be taken as medical advice. Always use caution when reading a recipe, and always pay attention to exchange sizes. Blood
glucose levels can be affected by not following individual dietary guidelines that are set in place by a medical physician. Some of the recipes do use small amounts
of sugar. Please check with your physician first. Recipes with sugar are not suitable for all diabetics.
1. Cream margarine, sugar, vanilla, and egg substitute.
2. Add flour, baking powder, and 3 tablespoons of the milk. Stir to thoroughly mix.
3. Divide dough into 2 parts.
4. Add cocoa to one part, stirring until well blended.
5. Add vanilla extract to the other half.
6. Chill both halves for at least 1 hour.
7. Working on a floured surface, roll out each part to a rectangle about 3 inches wide and 18
inches long. Place chocolate part on top of white part, pressing together tightly with a rolling
8. Brush the chocolate dough with remaining tablespoon of milk. Roll up like a jelly roll to
make a log about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
9. Wrap in waxed paper and chill until firm, about 2 hours.
10. When you're getting ready to bake these: Preheat oven to 375°F.
11. Slice cookies 1/8 inch thick. Place on a no-nstick cookie sheet that has been lightly coated
with cooking spray.
12. Bake for 8 minutes, until lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Makes 60 servings. (1 Cookie Per Serving)
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)
85 calories, 11 g protein, 5 g total fat, 8 g carbs, 74 mg sodium