4 catfish or ocean perch fillets (1 pound total), thawed if frozen
2 slices white bread, crumbled, or 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
2 tablespoons grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil or oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried basil or
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 large egg, beaten, or 1/4 cup egg substitute
1/4 cup low-fat (1 percent) buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a baking pan with nonstick
2. In a pie pan or shallow dish, mix the bread crumbs, cheese, basil or
oregano, salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. In another pie pan or dish, combine the egg and buttermilk.
4. Dip each fish fillet first in the milk mixture, then in the crumb mixture to
coat both sides with crumbs.
5. Arrange the fillets in 1 layer in the baking pan. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until
the fish flakes easily with a fork.
Makes 4 Servings
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)
Sodium: 518 mg
Cholesterol: 121 mg
Fat: 11 g
Fiber: 0 g
Sugars: 1 g
Carbs: 7 g
Exchanges: 1/2 Starch, 3 Lean Meat, 1/2 Fat