Five Bean Soup
5 (16-ounce each) packages dried beans: lima, great northern, kidney, pinto and split peas
(enough for four batches of soup)
3 beef bouillon cubes
3 tablespoons dried chives
1 teaspoon dried savory
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
2 1/2 quarts water
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
1. Combine beans; divide into four equal 1 pound batches or about 3 3/4 cups each.
2. To Make Batch of Soup: Wash one batch of beans. Place in a large kettle; add enough
water to cover bean. Bring to a boil; cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat; cover
and let stand 1 hour.
3. Tie spices in a cheesecloth bag.
4. Drain and rinse beans. Return to kettle; add spices and 2 1/2 quarts water. Bring to
boil, reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender, stirring
5. Add tomatoes and heat through. Remove spices and serve.
One batch makes 14 servings (3 1/2 quarts).
Nutrition Information Per Serving (1 cup): 191 calories, 293 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol,
35 gm carbohydrate, 13 gm protein, 1 gm fat.
Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 meat.