Green Bean Casserole
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3-1/4 cups sliced mushrooms
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 (16 ounce) can low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Pinch freshly ground nutmeg
3/4 cup low-fat sour cream
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup cornflake crumbs
1 pound frozen green beans, or 4 cups lightly steamed green beans
1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over low heat. Add the sliced onion and
cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden brown, about 20 minutes. Set aside. (This
step may be done up to 2 days in advance; store, covered, in the refrigerator.)
2. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
3. In a large nonstick saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the remaining oil over medium heat.
Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
Stir in the mushrooms and garlic; continue cooking until the mushrooms release their
juices, about 4 minutes.
4. Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms. Cook, stirring, 2-3 minutes, then gradually stir in
the broth. Add the bay leaf, thyme, and nutmeg; simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly
thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in the sour cream, season with pepper,
and remove the bay leaf. Set aside.
5. In a small bowl, combine the reserved onion topping with the cornflake crumbs,
6. In a 2-quart baking dish, add green beans. Top with the sauce, then evenly scatter the
onion mixture on top. Bake until bubbling, 20-25 minutes.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)
Protein: 7 g
Sodium: 268 mg
Cholesterol: 10 mg
Fat: 5 g
Dietary Fiber: 4 g
Sugars: 9 g
Carbohydrates: 25 g